While
walking inside Sydney airport with my dear friend and colleague Jenny at the
end of January this year, I couldn’t quite believe the journey I was about to
undertake. This was the beginning of the first holiday I had ever taken in my
life without my family. It all started from a wish I expressed one day to a
friend of mine. When I said I would like to take a break by myself for a few
weeks the response was "Oh my God! You are going by yourself, then who
will look after your kids?" Interestingly enough when my husband
went to India for three weeks by himself last October , not a single soul asked
him who was going to look after his kids. But it didn’t stop me.
Imagine that you have to do this wonderful course
for three weeks in a faraway place to get a great promotion at your work with
good money to come in. Then your parents and in-laws may pitch in to
efficiently manage your family while you are away, as you are putting in
those extra hours and getting paid for all that hard work. But what if you tell
them to come and help your husband to look after your children for three weeks
as you are desperate for a holiday of your own..aha….now the story will be
different. .I think the biggest disapprovers may not necessarily be your
parents, in-laws or husband, rather it would be other women friends of yours
thinking “How can she be thinking of doing such a thing?! I would never leave
my husband and kids for pursuing an enjoyment by myself!”During those three weeks it is fair to say I missed my family but I enjoyed the trip thoroughly. North India enriched my days with its exotic colour, smell and taste. I momentarily forgot my world here and each day I immersed in the vibrant beauty and chaos that the day presented and lost myself completely in that. The freedom from daily life chores, work and responsibilities wrapped me like a warm blanket in those winter weeks. This trip became the best thing that I had done for myself and it rejuvenated my mind body and soul.
I learned that if there is a will,
there is a way. I learned that once we start to think beyond the four
walls that we are conditioned to believe, the possibilities are endless.
If we are able to challenge our own attitude and thoughts in order to
pursue an activity that we are so passionate about, our world will not end but
in fact it may expand. Then we realise that in our culture too women’s dreams
don’t come with an expiry date, after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment